Saturday, August 10, 2013

My VW Beetle

It is finally happening. I have had my 1970 VW bug for over 15 years and the paint faded terribly. I started work on it last spring by removing all of the exterior elements, covering the rest and sanding the heck out of it. In early summer, I finally got the Bondo placed over the bad parts and re-sanded those areas until my arm hurt! I got the primer on right before summer school started. Now, it is getting the paint job I have been waiting for. At first, I wanted a tye-dyed Beetle, but then since I am a huge giraffe fan, I decided an orange giraffe pattern with eyelashes for the headlights would be FANTASTIC. I chose orange because of our school colors and it is one of my favorites. A former student, who is fantastic with spray paint, is working on it today. I can't wait to put it all back together and drive it to school!

Original color was faded and when sanding I found a lot of interesting things under the paint. Thankful for Bondo!
Primed with two coats and ready for the artistic hand of a spray painter!


4 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't wait to see how it turns out. The giraffe idea will be so cute! That's great that you know how to fix up cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are jack of all trades!! I can't wait to see how it turns out! That is so great that you can have a student show their work on your car. Please make sure you post after pics. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! I want to see the finished product too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete